Study In Ukraine For Ghanaian Students
Among the international students from West Africa that study in Ukraine, Ghanaians are among the highest in numbers, only second to Nigeria. However, Ghanaians are among the most brilliant international students in Ukraine and have been known to be academically serious.
In Ukraine, Ghanaians feel very much at home due to the large number of existing Ghanaian students in different Ukrainian cities. This includes both current students as well as graduates who are already established with their families.
The educational partnership between Ghana and Ukraine dates back to the Soviet era when the Soviet Union offered scholarship slots to friendly African countries. Ghana was one of the beneficiaries.
That partnership has not declined but has been on the increase. Presently, the number of international students that study in Ukraine from Ghana run into the thousands.
This is why Ghanaian students, both males and females, are spread all over Ukraine’s higher institutions in different cities, forming a strong international students’ community.
Majority of the Ghanaian students study in English language, while some study in the local Ukrainian or Russian language, after undergoing the preparatory program.
It is, therefore, safe to say that Ukraine is a friendly and welcoming destination for Ghanaians to study and begin the pursuit of their professional and career aspirations.
Challenges Of University Education In Ghana
Ghana has a population of around 30 million people, with about 9 National universities.
The educational quality of Ghanaian universities is pretty good. In fact, compared to some other West African countries, they are actually excellent and ahead of many.
So, studying at home in Ghana is not a bad idea at all, but the problem is the competition from getting into these universities.
To compound it, owing to the dwindling educational standards in neighbouring West African countries, there is also increased influx of fellow West Africans nationals competing for admission spots in the already limited spots.
All these end up making it more difficult to gain university admission for an average Ghanaian student, especially those not resident in the cities.
This is where Ukraine presents an excellent opportunity for such Ghanaian students to easily secure university admission in Ukraine and study their dream course, whether MBBS, Engineering or Management / Social Sciences.
The beauty of studying in Ukraine for Ghanaians is that there are lots of courses to choose from, in English language, with more being added every year. There are also lots of accredited and quality universities that gladly welcome international students from Ghana.
WHY STUDY IN UKRAINE FOR GHANAIAN STUDENTS?
There are three major advantages of studying in Ukraine for Ghanaian students, most of which are pretty obvious.
1: Quality Education – this is obviously the main reason for seeking foreign education. It is sometimes called, brain gain, which is a fancy way of saying “go and learn what those folks know”. Ukraine, in this regards, is a viable destination, considering that it has both the infrastructure for the training, as well as a professional lecturing team that are equal to the task.
2: Competitive Cost – the quality and cost of the university education offered in Ukraine are difficult to beat, cost-wise, in any other European or other advanced countries. This is among the primary reasons fuelling the growth of Ukraine, as a top destination for international education abroad.
3: Ease Of Admission – Ukraine makes it very easy for eligible international candidates to secure university admission. The entire process is based primarily on the academic and financial requirements. However, once the academic requirements are met, the financial requirements are only applicable upon arrival to Ukraine.
Even though those are not the only advantages of studying in Ukraine for a Ghanaian student, it is evident that they give Ukraine some edge over other European or developed countries that are not only more expensive but have more stringent admission processes.
To better grasp the cost advantage of Ukraine over other countries such as Uk, Canada, USA, etc, see the comparison table below for the cost of MBBS in Ukraine compared to the UK, USA, Canada & Australia.
Courses, Tuition & Admission Requirements For Ghanaian Students
Begining the admission process starts with knowing the tuition and admission requirements for the course of choice.
Below is the list for some of the courses available in Ukraine for studies, as a Ghanaian. Of course, this is not an exhaustive list, as there are still many more courses not included in the list, especially the ones that are only available in the local Ukrainian or Russian language.
Click on any of the section headers below to open or close it.
Use the calculator tool below to perform a real calculation of the likely cost of your university education in Ukraine. The currency converter tool below the calculator makes it easy to see the Naira value of the amount.
The values were pre-populated, but you can override them with your own entries.
Ukraine Study Visa Processing For Ghanaian Students
Ghanaian students planning to study in Ukraine will require an entry visa type D, obtained from the Ukrainian Embassy.
Although it does take some processing and running around, it is not as difficult as some people make it seem. Most qualified and eligible candidates end up with a successful visa outcome. The key thing is to be eligible and satisfy the Embassy requirements.
The first step is to get an official university invitation letter, with a confirmation letter sent to the Ukrainian Embassy of visa application.
Once those are completed, the next thing will be to submit a visa application to the Visa Center in Accra.
Students from Ghana submit their visa application to the VFS VISA CENTER in Accra, from where they book an interview appointment: http://www.vfsglobal.com/ukraine/ghana/contact-us.html
General Visa Application Requirements For Ghanaians:
Considering that the requirements do change from time to time, it is recommended to get the most accurate visa requirements from the Ukrainian Embassy’s website and only use the list below for reference purposes.
1. International passport and photocopy of the first page that should meet the following requirements:
- Be valid for at least three months after the stated date of departure from Ukraine;
- Have at least two blank visas designated pages;
- Have a validity period of no longer than 10 years;
2. One coloured passport photo 35 mm x 45 mm;
3. The original invitation for study and its photocopy. Information contained in both the invitation letter and the international must match;
5. The original birth certificate and a legalized copy by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of issuing country and its translation into Ukrainian language;
6. Original secondary school-leaving certificate (college) with the statement of results (transcript of marks received) and their copies legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of issuing country and its translation into Ukrainian language;
7. Medical certificate of general fitness legalized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its translation into Ukrainian language. The medical certificate is valid for TWO MONTHS, and the candidate must use it for university enrollment while valid;
8. Original sponsorship letter (attested by a notary) made by a court affidavit, which must include a full name of a sponsor, his/her address, landline and mobile telephone number, e-mail (if any), and obligation of a sponsor to cover expenses (stating sum of expenses) of an applicant;
9. Photocopy of sponsor`s ID/passport with and signed by the sponsor;
10. Original of recent bank statements of a sponsor (for the past six months and should be personal not a company account); minimum amount should be sufficient to cover all applicant’s expenses during his/her first year in Ukraine (tuition fees and daily expenses);
11. valid health insurance with coverage of at least 30,000 EUR or equivalent in other currency;
12. receipt of payment of visa fees.
Note that all consular/visa fees are not refundable according to Ukrainian legislation.
To Get Started, Click Below For Available Courses & Tuition, Or To Fill The Online Application Form